Thursday, September 17, 2009

last chemo treatment!

i had my last chemo treatment today! it was a little touch and go for a few minutes...they did my lab work and it took forever for the results to come in. i tried to stay busy by playing with my iphone so hat i wouldn't think about things too much and start getting emotional. my mom was sooooo nervous.

after the nurse finally found my oncologist to get his opinion on my bloodwork we found out that we were good to go! my white blood cells were still low, but they decided to give me a lower dosage of the drugs so that i could continue one and be done with it all. thank you god!

they started with the pre-meds...i know benedryl is one of them but i don't know what the other one is...maybe a steroid...something for nausea? anyways those are always fun. they are amazed that the benedryl doesn't make me drowsy. i guess with everyone else they are all fast asleep when they get it.

the first chemo drug that i get is called Taxol. it takes three hours for the drug to go in through my IV. i felt fine for this one and always have.

the second drug i get is called carboplatin. this one usually only takes one hour or less to get. it started out okay, but all of the sudden i felt really weird. i was all sweaty (probably didn't help that i had turned the heat on in my recliner), itchy (especially the palms of my hands and the bottoms of my feet), and tingly...then the nausea set in. luckily they gave me a bucket and i did not make a mess...they stopped the carbo and just had saline go into me for a little while. they consulted with my oncologist and decided to give me more benedryl and some steroids. they also decided to dilute the drug with saline so that it wouldn't be so concentrated. this took some time to do and of course once it was done the bag was twice the size which meant twice the time to administer. luckily i didn't have another reaction and i was able to have the drugs and finish out my treatment.

my mom and i got my favorite starbucks drink to celebrate (vanilla bean blended creme! so yummy!) and then came home. what a long day!

anyways, i am going to write another blog post about my cancer experience soon. fun!

'til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment